Quiz Master Seat Controller Help
There are two things you need to use ProQuizzer.com's Quiz Master Seat Controller; a USB interface and a set of compatible pads.
The USB Interface
Currently only the Acme MatchMaker™ interface is compatible with the Quiz Master Seat Controller software. The USB interface connects the seats to the computer. The interface is connected to the computer via a USB cable.
You can purchase the interface from Acme (http://www.acmequiz.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2002&c=featured
There are two types of pads that you can use; Acme and Quiz-Time with an adapter. You can use different types of pads at the same time.
Acme sells pads similar to the Quiz-Time pads. These pads will connect directly to the USB interface without an adapter or the need to an extension cable.
You can purchase the pads from Acme (http://www.acmequiz.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2010&c=featured
). Acme often discounts the price of the pads when purchased with a USB interface.
You can use your existing Quiz-Time pads with a special adapter. The adapter allows you to plug the Quiz-Time pads in to the USB interface.
You can purchase the adapters from Acme (http://www.acmequiz.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2040&c=featured
). You will need one for each set of pads.
The Main Screen
The main screen is where you will spend most of your time. This is where the seats and the questions are displayed.
- Select Team Button: Clicking this button will open the select team window.
- Seat Light: This area shows the number and status of each seat. The color of each status can be set in the preferences. The default is red for the first light on, yellow for the second and green for all others.
- On/Off Button: Clicking this button will turn the seat on or off.
- First Up: This area shows the first up. The format for the first up can be set in the preferences. This area allows you to call on the quizzer who is up first without having to find the correct seat and team name.
- Question and Answer Box: This box shows the question and the answer. The format of the text can be set in the preferences.
- Light On Border: This red (note: color will match the setting for the first up format) border is displayed any time a light is on. It is designed to quickly get the attention of the quiz master while he/she is reading the question.
- Verse Box: This box shows the verse for the current question. Having the verse on the screen allows the quiz master to quickly see if the quizzer is on the right or wrong track and saves time when looking up the reference in a book would have been necessary.
- Navigation Bar: The navigation bar allows you to move between questions. You can move one forward or backward or you can jump to a specific question.
- Current Question Set Label: This label shows the name of the currently loaded question set. This helps you know that you're using the right set and helps you know what set is next.
- Next Question Button: Clicking this button moves the questions to the next question.
To open a new set of questions click on the File
menu and select Open
. This will open an open file dialog where you can select the file you wish to open.
Hiding the Question
From time to time you may want to hide the question so people can't see what is coming up. To do this click on the View
menu and select Hide Question
Highlighting Words in the Question
Quiz Master Seat Controller makes it easy to highlight words while the quizzer is answering. You can use this to highlight a word that a quizzer missed or for any other reason you might want to highlight a word. Just highlight the word(s) with your mouse and right click. The words will be highlighted in yellow. You can un-highlight the words in the same manor.
Navigating Through the Questions
The Next Question Button
The next question button is designed to make moving to the next question easier. This works just like clicking the forward button on the navigation bar but its size and location make it easier to use.
The Navigation Bar
You can use the navigation bar to move through the questions. Clicking the forward or backward buttons move the question forward or backward one question. Changing the question number will move to that question.
Clicking the select team button will open the select team form.
You can select a team from the drop down or type a new name into the text box. If the team name you enter is not on the list you will be prompted to add it to the list if you wish.
Turning a Seat On/Off
You can turn the seat on or off by clicking the on/off button on each seat. If a seat is empty you must turn the seat off.
Using the Clock
Quiz Master Seat Controller includes two clocks that can be used to keep time. To show the clocks click the View
menu and select Show Clock
Starting and Stopping the Clock
Each clock can be started and stopped by clicking the stop/start button. Starting the question button will automatically start the quiz clock and stopping the quiz clock will automatically stop the question clock. If the quiz clock runs out of time before the question clock the question clock will keep going. Clicking the next question button will stop and reset the question clock.
Adding Time for a Quote
The question clock always starts with 20 seconds. If the question is a quote you can click the quote button to add ten seconds to the question clock.
Editing the Time on the Clock
To change the time on the clock you can click the up/down arrows next to the time. Holding the button down will cause the time to change more rapidly. The quiz clock also has a +20 and a +5 button. These buttons are convenience buttons to add 20 and five seconds to the quiz clock.
Quiz Master Seat Controller offers several formatting options for the user. To view and modify the options click the Tools
menu and select Format Options
- Profile drop down: This drop down shows all the available profiles. Select an item from the list to load that profile.
- Save profile button: Clicking this button will save the current profile.
- New profile button: Clicking this button will create a new profile. You will be prompted to supply a name for the new profile.
- Delete profile button: Clicking this button will delete the current profile.
- Question format area: This area shows all the different format options.
- Font button: Clicking this button will open a font dialog. This font is the primary font for the question and answer box.
- Always include book check box: Checking this box will cause the book to be displayed in the question even if there is only one book in the current set of questions.
- Change chapter 20 to display verse check box: Checking this box will cause questions from chapter 20 to show the reference as 20 verse X instead of 20:X.
- Question prefix text box: The value in this box will be displayed in front of the question. Leave this box blank if you do not want a prefix.
- Question prefix font button: Clicking this button will open a font dialog. This font is the font that will be used for the question prefix.
- Put answer on new line check box: Checking this box cause the answer to be moved to a new line.
- Answer prefix text box: The value in this box will be displayed in front of the answer. Leave this box blank if you do not want a prefix. This value is not used if the answer is not on a new line.
- Answer prefix font button: Clicking this button will open a font dialog. This font is the font that will be used for the answer prefix.
- Answer OR font button: Clicking this button will open a font dialog. This font is the font that will be used for the "OR" in a multi-option answer.
- Sample box: The sample box shows several different questions and answers formatted based on the format preferences.
- Light colors area: This area shows the options for light colors for the seats. The first one is the "Light Off" color. Each of the following is the color for the light of the first, second, etc. quizzer up. The last one will be used for all the others.
- Add color button: Clicking this button will add a level to the color list.
- Sample color area: This area shows the color for the light.
- Change color button: Clicking on this button will open a color picker dialog. This will change the color associated with the light order.
- Delete button: Clicking this button will remove the current level.
- First up format area: This area shows the options for the first up format.
- First up color drop down: This drop down shows a list of colors that can be used for the first up label and the alert border.
- First up format text box: This text box allows you to set the format for the first up. A value of [Team] will be replaced by the team name and a value of [Seat] will be replaced by the seat value. You can add any other text you want.
- First up sample label: This label shows a sample of what the first up text will look like.
- Close button: Clicking this button will close the form.
Creating a Profile
You can create a profile that you can save a load. This profile will have all your formatting preferences. To create a new profile click the New
button. To load a profile just select it from the list.
You can change most elements of the question display, from font name, size and color to how it is displayed. There are several font points that can be set including the general font, the font of the prefixes (the text in front of the question) and more.
The light colors allow the user to set the color for each light that comes on. This shows you not just the first light that comes on but all others and can allow you to see the order as well. You can add and delete levels as well as change the color for any level.
First Up Format
The first up format allows you to set what the first up label looks like. A value of [Team] will be replaced by the team name and a value of [Seat] will be replaced by the seat value. You can add any other text you want. You can set the color as well.
The team/seat settings allow you to change settings that are related to the style of quizzing and equipment you are using.
- Seats number box: The value in this box is the number of seats for each team.
- Clear teams button: Clicking this button will clear the teams from the database.
- String setup area: This area shows the string setup options.
- Teams number box: The value in this box is the number of teams.
- String settings area: This area show the options for each of the four strings.
- Right-to-left button: Clicking this button sets the string of pads direction to right-to-left.
- Left-to-right button: Clicking this button sets the string of pads direction to left-to-right.
- Seat type drop down: This shows the different types of seat strings that Quiz Master Seat Controller supports. Select the value matching the type of seats you are using.
- String number area: This area allows you to set the number that this string is plugged into on the USB interface. This is primarily to allow you to continue to use a USB interface even if one of the ports stops working.
- Cancel button: Clicking this button will close the form without saving any changes.
- OK button: Clicking this button will close the form and save any changes.
The string setup allows you to change the number of teams and the number of quizzers on a team. The total cannot be greater than 20. For a personal quiz you might set the team to one and the quizzer count to 15 (or some other number). In a practice you might have two teams of seven to have all seven quizzers in.
Clearing the Teams
You can clear the teams that show in the select teams form by clicking the clear teams button.
There are several settings related to each string of seats. There are up to four strings (the four ports on the USB interface). String one in the software will always be the left most on the screen, even if it is connected to a different port on the USB interface (see String Number).
The string direction can be set by clicking either the right-to-left or left-to-right button. This allows you to setup the string of seats in either direction.
Quiz Master Seat Controller currently supports Acme and Quiz-Time pads. It is important that you select the correct seat type. Selecting the wrong seat type may cause the lights to be on when the should be off and visa versa.
You can set the string number (the port number on the USB interface) for each string. String one in the software is always the left most on the screen. This setting is primarily to allow you to continue to use a USB interface even if one of the ports stops working.
Converting Questions from Acme Quiz Master
If you are using the Acme Quiz Master program to generate your questions you'll need to convert those questions to a format that the Quiz Master Seat Controller software can read. The application includes a utility to convert the questions for you.
- From the Tools menu select Convert From Acme.
- Select the location of the file generated by Acme.
- Select the folder where you want the converted file(s) to be placed. Acme places multiple sets of questions in a single file. The conversion utility will create a separate file for each set.
- Enter the name for the new file(s). The # symbol will be replaced with the number of the question set.
- Click the OK button. The conversion process may take a minute to finish. You must be connected to the internet for this process to work.